Friday, April 30, 2010

This is the cake for Captain M.C. Shmidt, captain of the argonauts and inventor of the time machine. (Not really, I believe the time machine was invented by H.G. Wells? or at least he wrote the book). This cake is actually a themed cake with the theme being "Steampunk". Since steampunk is a bit Science fiction and fantasy rolled into actual inventions and set in the Victorian period (but actually a movement of the 1980's- confused yet?) I got to make up my own story to go along with this cake, so I decided that Captain Shmidt would be the fictional customer of this cake. O.K. so now that's the background. (This cake is actually for a Steampunk themed cake competition). So think of time machines, argonauts (or air pirates), steam engines, clocks, steam locomotives, steam boats, top hats, brass, wood grain, gears and watch parts, chains, solar flare goggles, and anything to do with flight.... I daydreamed and sketched till I came up with this cake.

O.K. so this is a 3-tiered (6", 8", 10") cake covered with Marshmallow Fondant and decorated with gears, goggles, clock, watch pieces, chains, key and lock, rivets and a time machine pilots pin sculpted out of Wilton Brand ready made fondant. All the cake is hand painted with gel food color and luster dusts for the metallic sheen. Hope you guys like it, I had a lot of fun making it, and it was quite the challenge I needed to get me thinking outside the cake box!! Thank you Aaron, Summer, and Mac for teaching me the 3-D design and sculpture lessons I needed for this cake, and Susanna K., Sean C., and Judea J. you guys artwork was an inspiration in different ways, not to mention, this is Judea's honorary Birthday cake since I never made her one! Oh, and thanks to my hubby for taking and editing the photo and building the backdrop!!

3 comments:

  1. OMG Erika this cake is AMAZING! Thanks for the dedication! It is way too pretty to eat! Lol! I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Erika, I am so honored!!! This cake is awesome it definitely deserves to win! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! would have known it was yours out of 100 cakes!

    ReplyDelete